Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Brown Sugar and Bacon-Wrapped Little Smokies

These are my new go-to recipe if I have to bring food for any kind of event. I have made these delicious beauties a total of three times already in the last couple of weeks, and they never last more than 5-10 minutes. They are so quick and easy to make, and they are mommy AND wallet friendly. 

The original recipe comes from Tasty Kitchen, and it was shared on Facebook (which is where I find most of my recipes these days), so without further adieu....

Bacon-Wrapped and Brown Sugar Smothered Little Smokies

  • 1 pound Bacon, Cut Into Thirds
  • 1 pound Smokies
  • 1 stick Butter
  • 2 cups Brown Sugar
Preheat oven to 375F. Cut the bacon into thirds and wrap each smokie. Place all the wrapped smokies in a single layer in a baking dish. 

Then melt the stick of butter and then 1 cup of brown sugar and stir until mixed well. Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture on the smokies and bacon. Then take the other cup of brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over the smokies. Bake them for about 15-20 minutes and then turn the heat up to 400F for about 5 minutes or longer until the bacon becomes crispy.

I'm actually going to share with you my secret with this recipe. The original says to bake for about 5-10 minutes at 400 degrees to make the bacon crispy. It actually doesn't work so well, at least for me. I like my bacon really crispy, so I might just be picky.
What I do is I make it up exactly like the recipe calls for the night before. Once they are done, I cover them in foil and put them in the fridge until I need them the next day. I then put them back into the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes, and it makes the picture you see above. The brown sugar caramelizes much better over the bacon, and it crisps up nicely after the second baking.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment